Hello Ayush,

Thank you very much for the macro which worked exactly as expected. The only
problem was that I already had entries filled up, for which I used your
macro as a separate module and it solved the issue.

Although not related to this question - I am going to send this file to my
managers and I want to set a drop-down list for input values, i.e.,
0,1,2,3. Data Validation can simply do this. The problem is it will show 0 ,
1 , 2 and 3 in the drop-down and when they change the value, say, from 2 to
3, the macro will change the display from Good to Excellent. Fairly
confusing for Managers ;) I don't know, but can I somehow get an indication
for display values (Excellent, Good, Average, Poor) in the drop-down ?

Hope I am not bothering you too much. Thanks again for your suport.

Jai Jinendra

Abhishek Jain

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 8:15 PM, Ayush <jainayus...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Abhishek,
>
> Unfortunately, The custom number format can take only up to two
> conditions and you have three conditions in your requirement. Also,
> Conditional formatting may not work as it displays colors,borders and
> patterns.
>
> I have written a macro for you which should fulfill your requirement.
> This macro should be used in Change event of excel sheet(or workbook)
> and you should specify your desired range in macro. So, whenever you
> will change value in the range, the macro will trigger and change the
> custom format.

> For Each cell In ActiveSheet.Range("A1:Z100")
> If cell.Value < 2 Then
>    cell.NumberFormat = "[=0]""Poor"";[=1]""Average"""
> End If
>
> If cell.Value > 1 And cell.Value < 4 Then
>    cell.NumberFormat = "[=2]""Good"";[=3]""Excellent"""
> End If
> Next
>
> End Sub
>
> I hope this macro will help you. Let us know if it does not work or
> any further help is required.
>
> Best regards,
> Ayush Jain
> [Group Owner and Manager]
>

> On Nov 14, 1:52 pm, Abhishek Jain <abhishek....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I have this cell where the values filled can be - 0 or 1 or 2 or 3. I
> want
> > to set a custom format for excel to show -
> >
> > "Poor" for 0
> > "Average" for 1
> > "Good" for 2
> > "Excellent" for 3
> >
> > Now, I've tried and figured out that I can set maximum 03 conditions in
> > Custom Number format but in my case they are 4. I used this format -
> >
> > [=0]"Poor";[=1]"Average";"Good"
> >
> > It's working for 03 conditions but If I add one more condition in this, -
> > error ! format can't be set.
> >
> > I tried this formula in Conditional Formatting, which is working in
> another
> > cell but not in formatting -
> >
> > =IF(J2=0,"Poor",IF(J2=1,"Average",IF(J2=2,"Good","Excellent")))
> >
> > Any help is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > AJ

1. Excel and VBA Tutorials(Video and Text), Free add-ins downloads at
http://www.excelitems.com
3. Learn VBA Macros at http://www.vbamacros.blogspot.com
4. Excel Tips and Tricks at http://exceldailytip.blogspot.com