Lots of questions before we can begin:

are the different reports in one folder really Excel files? or are they ASCII
files
created with Excel extensions?

If they're actually excel files, are there multiple sheets in each file?
do you want one sheet or all?

what version of excel are you using.

are there other files in the report folder or can we simply import all files in
the folder?

Is there any column that ALWAYS has data? (like a record number?)

If you search through the group list(s) you'll find people that have techniques
for retrieving
(and even writing?) data from Excel files without opening them.
I've never tried it.  I've always opened the file, extracted the data and
closed the file.

finally...
How comfortable are you with VBA?

in other words, are you asking us to write the code for you or are you looking
for direction?

Paul