Is there other data in that column that you're NOT using?
If there's not, you can simply define the range extremely large.

Or... are you trying to find the last row with ANY data?

that is to say:
FBTlastrow = ActiveCell.SpecialCells(xlLastCell).Row
will give you the row number of the last row of the entire spreadsheet
that contains data.

You said that you don't fully understand your code, so let's step through it:

> Range("C:C").Find("Description", LookIn:=xlValues).Select
  this selects column "C" and searches for the string "Description",
  then selects this cell.

> FBTFirstrow = ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Row
this returns the row number of the cell immediately below currently selected
cell
(that has the word "description")

> FBTlastrow = ActiveCell.End(xlDown).Row
  this has the effect of hitting the "end" key and the "down" arrow.
  as you observed, it will take you to the last entry before the first blank
  space.
  Instead, I would use:
  FBTlastrow = ActiveCell.SpecialCells(xlLastCell).Row

> ActiveCell.Value = "Total FBT Transfer to Fund"

  This is curious.  Unless you've left out something, the currently selected
cell
  contains the word "Description", and you're changing it to:
  "Total FBT Transfer to Fund"

> ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Formula = "=sum(" & Format(FBTFirstrow, "H#")
> & ":" & Format(FBTlastrow, "H#") & ")"

  This offset statement identifies the cell 0 rows down and one column to the
right
  and inserts a formula.
  The problem is that this is an improper use of the "format" function.
  In the formatting expression, "H" means to display the Hour without leading
"0"'s.
  since this isn't a TIME, I suspect you were trying to use this format
statement
  as if it were similar to C++.  It's not.
  How it may have worked properly for F and G is beyond me ..

what I would use is:
ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Formula = "=sum(H" & FBTFirstrow & ":H" & FBTlastrow &
")"

but this whole thing looks suspicous.

Because if you ran it for column "F", then the sum would be placed in the
column "G" header.

I suspect something more is going on.

I think we need to know more about what you're trying to do
and what you want it to look like when you're done...

Paul