There's GOT to be something else going on.
I created a new file with.xlam extension.
Protected the Sheet and Workbook
Created a sub called Init with only the line:
Created a Workbook_Open sub
calling Init.

It worked just fine.
I also tried it with an Auto_Open sub, it worked also.

So, there must be something else going on.

Do you know if it is user-specific or workstation specific?
(test it on another PC, and with another user)

Can you send me some sample files to test?

Paul