Hi Susan,

Seems to be interesting issue:-
Two workarounds:-

1) Try closing the other Excel by key combination Ctrl + W.  Also
check what happens when you are pressing Alt + F4

2) Look out for the option "Windows in Taskbar", it should be there in
the "Option" dialogue box. (I am not familiar with Excel 2010, hence
can't guide you exactly where is this option)

Best Regards,
DILIPandey

--
Thanks & Regards,