Hello again - and thanks for the last response, you guys are ace!

right have now taken a lot of data relating to clients and have a
pivot table, which when i show pages lists 30 worksheets with each one
being a separate client and valuation.

Is there a way instead of showing the pages as individual worksheets,
as individual workbooks with the file name saved as which would be the
tab name if you clicked on the 'show pages.' (ie from tab 'smith' &
tab 'jones' to a file smith.xls with one tab ''smith' and another file
'jones.xls with one tab 'Jones')

I think this might be a 3 stage process in shoing pages,
then doing a loop to move the first sheet to a new workbook
then saving it as the tab name
closing the file
then looping to do the same again till no more sheets are left in the
main workbook....

if there is a smarter way please let me know.

ta

Simon