Thank you very much, Paul.  When I received the file, it was quickly
obvious that this other party had introduced an error into the file that
was producing a bunch of #0's and such and that the goal seek would never
be able to find a solution.  I guess these VBA error messages are just too
generic for my tastes.   It seemed more like the kind of messge you get
when something isn't dimensioned properly, etc.  I expected something a lot
more subtle!  Next time I will know to ask for the file first, before I go
jumping to conclusions.

Thanks again for your very thoughtful answer.

Dean

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/excel-macros.