If I understood you correctly:

The way each office connects to the internet should not matter for the VPN.
And, the router at each office (the main router, one that sits between the
office and internet) should handle VPN. Just make sure each router supports
each other for VPN.

And, you would only need 1 Exchange server to be on a public IP (only the
pop3 and smtp ports open). The non-public exchange servers would communicate
with the 'main' exchange server over the VPN. (of course, each router would
need a public IP)

At the company I work at now, at one point we had VPN going between Frame
Relay (main office), DSL (other office) and Cable and DSL residential
services.
Each VPN location is treated as a different subnet. Once you have VPN
working, you can setup your network to use the subnets... Multiple Exchange
Sites etc just pretend it's a normal, subnetted network. Exchange does not
need to know about the VPN at all.

I hope this made sense, and I hope I read your question correctly.

Also, there are probably some better ways of doing this, and I'm sure this
group will let you and me know about it real quick ;)

Andre