We use newprof.exe here in our Windows 2000 logon script to set up Outlook
2000 profiles and don't have too many problems. A few lessons from our
experiences, if you go down this road:

* You might want to put some sort of "Has-this-been-run-before?" registry
key in the logon script so that the profile is only generated the first time
the user logs on. It also allows you to re-generate a users Outlook profile
on the fly, which is often easier than trying to get the user to run through
control.exe mlcfg32.cpl.

* You also might need some keystroke-scripting to set the location that
Outlook delivers mail to. We seemed to have to do this.

* We had some trouble automating the question to import .sc2 data in the
past. I seem to remeber there is a registry that needs to be set in order to
ensure that this also works, but I can't remmeber the precise key is... Of
course, if your students don't have calendars, etc. This won't be a problem.

Obviously your mileage may vary, but hope this is useful to you anyhow.