You need to look into directory import and export.  A change to a template
is not what you need to do.

Missy
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Peoples" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Exchange Discussions" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 11:06 PM
Subject: GAL template change

Hi,

On one server I am running win2k and Exchange 5.5.One another server I am
running Win2K and Exchange 2K. Yes, I am in the middle of a migration from
5.5 to 2K...

I have been asked to change the GAL user details template to include a
custom attribute. Doing the actual form changes I am quite OK with... but my
question is - which template do I make the change to and on which server? Do
I need to change templates on all Exchange servers?

the Exchange 5.5 server was the first server in the site... and I have tried
making the changes there. I have also restarted the Exchange 5.5 services
but the changes do not appear in the GAL.

Exchange 2000 - I have made a simple change (reduce size of one field) for
testing purposes and it does not appear to change the GAL. I realise I may
need to restart the Win2k services as well... but does any one know which
particular service requires the restart for the changes to be effected?

Unfortunately I don't have a test environment substantial enough to simulate
this (yet). I have tested making the changes in 5.5 and E2K separately...
both successfully. The mixed environment has complicated things...

Any help would be appreciated.
MP