Hi All:

<sucking up>
Hoping you guys can possibly give a little of your vast experience and knowledge in
this one. Yes I 've read the FAQ's and even like Fish Tacos and beer.....and I'm going
to the MEC so maybe I'm gonna need to hide my wallet.
</sucking up>

Exchange 5.5 SP4 NT4.0 SP6a--Orphans in the Directory
5 servers in the site and 4 connected with x400 connectors.

We have a very large Exchange Org with over a 100  x400 Connectors all over the world
with over 200,000 recipients in the GAL.  We recently added a new server into our site
(I refused to let them use yet another connector) and started getting 1171 errors in
the eventviewer. The users were experiencing lock-ups and would have to endtask to get
out of Outlook.

A call to PSS and we were told to chkds.exe in read-only mode. No surprise here, but I
found almost 2000 orphaned objects on our main server, not the new server. At this
point I am planning to run chkds.exe -fixorphaned on the server with the orphaned
objects. PSS tells me to make a backup copy of the dir.edb first which I was going to
do anyway. I also intend to make backup copies of the dir's on all the servers in our
site including 3 remote ones that are connected by an x400. I will then shut down all
Exchange services on all the servers before running the utility.

My question is: Any pitfalls/heads-up I need to know before running chkds.exe. Have
any of you ever had to run this utility and had any problems I need to look out for?

Thanks for any insight you might have,

Lori Sagert
gedasUSA, Inc./Volkwagen of America
NT/Exchange Administrator