Oh please.

I was simply trying to be nice and not point out so bluntly that Gordon's
question was a fscking stupid one. "What's the best $foo" is, in general a
poor question indicative of a poster who either doesn't understand the area
into which they are delving at all or who is too lazy to actually do a needs
analysis for their organization and is hoping for an easy answer.

I'm aware that every vendor tries to pass off their product as the best of
breed solution for the industry and as being capable of meeting the needs of
anyone and everyone. I'm also aware that it's generally complete bullshit.
However, that doesn't excuse one from doing some basic internal research
into the needs of ones organization with regards to faxing and developing a
set of requirements with which to judge the available packages.

"What's the best $foo?"

Based on cost?
Based on reliability?
Based on integration with Exchange?
Based on vendor support?
Based on required feature $feature?
Based on interoperability with $other_application?
Based on ease of administration?
Based on the name of the vendor whose sales rep your CIO is banging?

So, Gordon I'm sorry I pointed out your question was feeble. Rocky, I'm
sorry you lacked the ability to clue into what was being said. Discussing
fax products isn't off limits, but christ on a cracker, it'd be nice if
those wanting to get information about fax products would at least take the
time to articulate their needs before asking for a product recommendation.
The fax solution I use might be a piss poor solution for Gordon and I fail
to see how my mentioning it is of any value to him in determining what
subset of products to evaluate.

As to Haiku and Fish Tacos... Those are pretty feeble off topic threads as
well and I've mentioned that off list to more than one aspiring poet and
food critic.

This list is a useful resource for getting information quick... Ask a poorly
phrased question and you get lots of bad information quickly. Taking the
time to do some perfunctory research and to develop an intelligent question
often yields better answers, although they come a bit slower, as meaningful
information can rarely be conveyed as quickly as bullshit.

  Chris Scharff    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    www.swinc.com

  "Cheshire-Puss," she began, "would you tell me, please,
  which way I ought to go from here?"
  "That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,"
  said the Cat.
  "I don't care much where--" said Alice.
  "Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat.