From: Soysal, Serdar [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2001 1:51 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: x400 connector?

According to what I think your setup is, you shouldn't need to.  Here's what
I think you have, so correct me if I'm wrong.

ServerEX - Exchange Server with mailboxes
ServerSL - Seattle Labs server

ServerSL is what your MX record points to.  Your Exchange Server hosts IMS
and user mailboxes.  The IMS is configured to "don't reroute incoming SMTP
mail".

When you said you have to configure Outlook with Internet E-mail on top of
Exchange Server and type in the IP of ServerSL to send outbound mail, you're
taking your IMS server out of the loop.  Your Outlook will make a direct
connection to your ServerSL.  If that's the only reason you install Internet
E-mail, you don't need it.  Your IMS will happily route internet mail coming
from Outlook clients.  Also, when you've configured your ServerSL to route
all mail to your Exchange box, that one will be configured as a relay
server.  As long as the advertised email addresses of your users match the
SMTP addresses in the Exchange directory, everything should be fine.

S.