>From my perspective, you're making this real hard.

Inform the students that they can use any mailbox they want, but as far as
the university is concerned official communications from staff and faculty
are delivered to their Exchange mailbox. It is the student's responsibility
to keep up with this information. Problem solved. If they complain let them
know that this is how the real world works. Adjust.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Eytcheson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Exchange Discussions" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2001 2:41 PM
Subject: Send to no more than 25 at a time...

Exchange 2000 SP1, Windows 2000 SP2, GFI Mail Essentials 2000 (latest
build), Dell PowerEdge 2550, dual P-III 733, 2GB RAM.

Dear Exchange Guru's and Goddesses:

Q:  Is there a way to get Exchange to limit the number of recipients per
message for a specific remote domain?  More specifically, break a message
with more than x number of recipients into multiple messages.  If so, how?

Explanation:  This year, I allowed students to choose whether to use their
own email address (mail enabled account) or an account on our system
(mailbox enabled account).   All students, regardless of their choice of
accounts, are added to the "All Students" group, allowing the staff to send
announcements as necessary.  This works great except for one thing:
messages sent to "All Students" always get an NDR with every Hotmail user
listed.

So, I ask Hotmail support why that might be happening and this is their
reply:  "I understand how inconvenient it is on your part but I would like
to inform you that we have only a limit of 25 recipients per messages."

Great.  If you try to include more than 25 Hotmail recipients in a single
message, Hotmail will reject the entire message.  So, I need a way to have
Exchange break up the message into multiple messages with only 25 recipients
per each when addressed to a Hotmail address.  Any ideas?  Other solutions?

My only idea at this time is to create several "Hotmail Users #x" type
groups, and then assign up to 25 Hotmail users per group to each of these
groups, and add these groups to the All Students group.  This is way more
hands-on than I want to get on this; the rest of the process is completely
automated.

If I am to be FAQ'ed here, please point to a specific page.  I have searched
the FAQ, Slipstick, groups.google.com, northernlight.com, etc. and have
found nothing that relates to this problem.

Thank you,
Greg