From: Barber Tom [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: September 12, 2001 9:03 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Antivirus and Backups

We're currently running NAV for Exchange 2.13 and I must say the product
stinks.

I have Exchange 5.5 on a W2K Advanced Server box.

I'm trying to backup individual mailboxes using Backup Exec 8.5, with the
Exchange add-on.

Horrible throughput.  Went to Symantec's unbelievably-unhelpful web site,
where it was suggested I use MAPI mode only instead of VAPI/MAPI mode.   I
made the change to MAPI.

I have now received an email which contains a virus.  Looks as though MAPI
doesn't work too well.

Also, the backups have done better, but are still extremely slow.

My question is - what is everyone else out there using for antivirus and/or
backup?  I know there are some other vendors out there...I'm looking for a
good solution that includes auto-updates, allows me to use Backup Exec for
individual mailboxes (at a decent speed), and actually WORKS!

Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated.

-Tom Barber
Systems Manager
Alfred State College