Ladies and Gentlemen of the list , here's my situation in brief:

Yesterday someone on our network was infected with the Nimda virus (through
an infected web page and unpatched IE 5.01 install, but that's beside the
point)...  I had Netshield 4.5 running on our main file server, set to email
me when a virus was found on the system...  Within 5 minutes, I had over
8000 email messages from the scanner, from the infected machine trying to
put .eml files onto the server.   Now my mailbox is VERY slow...  I've tried
opening my mailbox with Outlook XP and Outlook 2000, also tried connecting
to it with Outlook Express and IMAP, but IMAP was only downloading like 1
message per second (even though I set it to only download headers, on a 100
Mbit network connection!)   When trying to delete the 8000 messages with OL
XP, between each deletion I get the dialog stating that "Outlook is
retrieving data from the Microsoft Exchange server...." etc and pauses for
20-25 seconds between each message deletion...  It gives me an estimated
time remaining of 39 hours!

Can anybody give me an idea how to best clear these things out of my
mailbox, or why it's choking so bad on these messages, they're each only
560-580 bytes (plain text messages)...  Server is Exchange 5.5 SP4...

Please CC: replies to [EMAIL PROTECTED] since my Exchange Box is almost
unusable!

TIA!

"Show me a completely smooth operation and
I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes.
Real boats rock." - Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune
Joe Pochedley