There's no need to stop the information stores to do a backup - in fact, it
is better to not do this, as an offline backup will not delete the
transaction log files and you'll not be able to replay those logs should you
need to restore.  Use NTBackup to backup Exchange databases or buy the
Exchange agent from Veritas for BackupExec.  Read
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q272/2/34.asp for a quick
overview of backup and recovery, and read the FAQ for this list (link in the
message footer) for more information.

If you absolutely don't want to do what I'm suggesting, then create a bat
file with the following:

net stop msexchangesa /y
net stop msexchangesa /y
net stop msexchangesa /y

And use that to stop all of the services.

Then start the services using a bat file with the following commands:

net start msexchangesa
net start msexchangeds
net start msexchageis
net start msexchangemta
net start msexchangeimc (ims?  it's been a while...)

Missy