From: Hansen, Eric [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Posted At: 26 September 2001 18:18
Posted To: Exchange
Conversation: 3rd party emails
Subject: 3rd party emails

We got hit pretty hard by nimda last week.  Our IIS servers were
patched,
and our Exchange servers were blocking EXE's.  In that 20 something hour
window before Symantec released a DAT we thought we were secure.  It
turns
out we got infected by a employee who had a 3rd party web based email
client, be it hotmail or sisna or whatever.

In a effort to stop all 3rd party email we have made it policy only
company
email is accepted in house.  But it goes beyond that, it only takes one
employee screwing around to cause us a major problem. So my question is
how
can we effectively stop these 3rd party email web clients.

At first we thought to block all of them by IP at the router and
firewall,
but there are TONS of IP's to be blocked.  So I had the thought as I was
making a change to a host file one day.  Is there a way to make a change
our DNS server and tell it that for example all requests for
'www.hotmail.com' go to some IP in house?

Or is there a better way to do this?