I totally second that opinion !!!!!  Could not have said it better
myself.....

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Herrick,
Michael
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2001 11:36
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Restore

Why BLB = BAD. A true tale from my last company.
After 3 months of banging their heads, the idiots at a remote site got BLB &
restores to work in test. So they ran it on the production box. I was
adamant that the Exchange online backup be run first. That took about 2-3
hours. The BLB took over 12 hours.

So, the VP needed a message restored from the previous day that was
shift-deleted. Can't do it yet. BLB was still in progress. He has to wait.
The next day, they restore his mailbox. And the message was not there! VP is
unhappy. So they go to the next day's tape (a day later). Still no message.
Seems like it came and went between BLB's. VP is now beyond irate. Calls the
CIO. Who calls me. I have DumpsterAlwaysOn. Go into VP's mailbox and give
him his message in 2 minutes.

Oh yes, most of their problems were permissions/UghServe related. So the
full restore did not work. While they had "practiced" restores, they never
opened a mailbox. Just accepted the logging information that the restore was
complete.

Do not waste your time on BLB. Deleted Items Retention, DumpsterAlwaysOn on
an admin workstation, Circular logging OFF. Practice restores. Read the FAQ.
Sleep easy. And keep the untrained away from the server.

Michael Herrick
Groton CIT Messaging Services