-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Bob Lewinski
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2001 1:56 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: OWA/Exchange Ports & Security – anyone?

Could anyone tell me if the below can be considered as an acceptable
approach to OWA implementation.

1. OWA/IIS resides in the DMZ
2. The only port that can get to it from the Internet is SSL/443
3. OWA/IIS can talk to the Exchange server on the internal network via two
statically mapped ports for the IS & DS.

Q1.
Is there any other ports I will need for the OWA to communicate with
Internal Exchange Server and why?
Microsoft says that you need to have 135/TCP open (Q259240), but I red few
things here on the Board that port 135 is a security threat – why?
Q2
What ports do I need to open between the OWA/IIS on the DMZ and one of my
DC's on the internal network.
Again Microsoft calls for 135/TCP, 138/TCP and 137/UDP.

Thanks
Bob Lewinski