From: Jennifer Baker [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2001 10:13 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: alternate recipient + delivery to email domain

I think you answered your own question:

"we do not use DNS nor Hosts entry for @x2.abc.com as we just indicate
the IP of that host in the "forward all messages to this domain"..that Hosts
receives messages just from us so they do not have any presence on the
internet...other than its IP address"

If the host is not registered in dns then the mail will bounceback
immediately.  If there is a record in dns for the host yet the host is down,
exchange will retry transmit of message (host is down or unreachable).  If
the domain is registered yet authorative nameservers are not available,
exchange will retry until nameservers become available or until the retry
period is over (network error during host resolution).