From: Cook, David A. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2001 7:47 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Seriously been tasked with this

Happy Friday to all. I should have saved this for a Monday morning as
I'm sure it's going to bring many laughs and many people saying that
this is absolutely crazy. I've been tasked with this though and I thus
have to come up with a solution and pricing for the solution. I doubt it
is anything that will seriously be implemented but here is the job at
hand.

I'm running Exchange 2000 with all incoming mail coming in through a
Mail Marshal mail gateway. We had a situation a few months ago in which
we had major AD replication issues that cause DCs/GCs to respond very
slowly and in some cases not respond as DCs/GCs at all. This caused
Exchange to be unusable and for all practical purposes we were in a
network down situation for 3 days with Microsoft in house working the
issue with us. As we all know if AD is down then Exchange is down also.

The task is to make sending, receiving and access to recent emails
available in the event of another network down situation. Obviously if
the physical network is down this is impossible but if Exchange goes
down then they want email to be available in some way. Since E2K relies
on AD I figure this secondary access can not include E2K.

My thought, and I don't think the money could be justified, is that I
have some type of a POP server that no one ever logs into. I would have
a mailbox for each user on that POP server and every message coming in
from the internet would be forward from the gateway to Exchange like it
currently is and a copy also sent to the POP server. The POP server
would then need the functionality to automatically delete any emails
over a certain age. In the event of Exchange being down we could notify
everyone to open Outlook Express which we would have preconfigured
through policy to point to the POP server and the users would be
functional with respect to email.

I'm prepared for some interesting responses to this crazy idea.

Dave Cook
Exchange Administrator
Kutak Rock, LLP
402-231-8352

(including any accompanying attachments) is intended solely for its
authorized recipient(s), and may be confidential and/or legally
privileged.  If you are not an intended recipient, or responsible for
delivering some or all of this transmission to an intended
recipient, you have received this transmission in error and are
hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from reading, copying,
printing, distributing or disclosing any of the information contained in
it.  In that event, please contact us immediately by telephone
(402)346-6000 or by electronic mail at [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
delete the original and all copies of this transmission (including any
attachments) without reading or saving in any manner.

Thank you.