Most customers who have used MS OSs since the DOS days, not to mention those
exposed to *nix, like the ability to script just about any change to the OS,
which was sorely lacking from NT4 and before. VBS added that ability. The
additional burden being that a more complex OS to configure (i.e. no INI or
.conf files) means a more complex way to configure it. Batch scripting has
always been a joke compared to the competition's scripting support.

Do you think Microsoft pulls these features out of their nether regions?
They listen to their customers when they request a feature. Just like any
good software company does. To do anything else is harmful to the business.

> You're just repeating Microsoft rhetoric!

No, I'm stating reality. I administer both Unix and Windows systems, as well
as having experience with Novell. While I make my living administering
Microsoft products, there are plenty of times when I look at a different
solution because its a better fit for the requirements.

I have a lot of problems with some of the Microsoft practices, especially
with regards to security. Then again, I look at RedHat, who is taking Linux
in the same direction that Microsoft took Windows NT/2000 - in order to make
a computer easier to use, there is going to be a corresponding security
trade off. Unfortunately for Microsoft, they made the ease of use strides
before InfoSec became the issue that it is today.

> Microsoft, hell, the world knew about the dangerous potential
> of the vb
> scripting language for many years; why didn't Microsoft do
> something about
> this sooner?

So, you're not aware of the fact that with about 30 seconds worth of work
(literally), you could write a script that would alleviate all these
scripting vulnerabilities on all your machines? In fact, one of our
subscribers posted to the list, probably around either Melissa or ILOVEYOU,
everything you needed to make that change via a login script.

Again, the onus here rests on the Administrator to know and understand the
ramifications of technologies, and to make an informed decision as to
whether or not they are employed. Being a manager, it should be that much
easier to disable unnecessary services on your users' machines.

I only know of one OS that is truly security focused. All others look at
security as a small piece of their total strategy.

Roger
Roger D. Seielstad - MCSE MCT
Senior Systems Administrator
Peregrine Systems