From: Craigster [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 9:03 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Please help with SMTP routing issue

I need some help with an SMTP routing issue.  I have two separate mail
systems on the same LAN, migrating from UNIX sendmail to MS Exchange 5.5.
Both systems are using the same "mail.com" domain for addressing.  For
example, both servers use addresses in the format "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
Essentially, any incoming email is parsed through the UNIX Sendmail
bridgehead server aliases and distributed from there.  The UNIX server is
my domain MX.  My problem is this...every time I use SMTP from Exchange to
send an email to someone on the UNIX mail system ("[EMAIL PROTECTED]", for
example) the exchange server returns the message as undeliverable (this
account only exists on the UNIX system, not on the Exchange server).  It
looks at itself for "mail.com" accounts, I am guessing, and for some
reason doesn't then go out and use the MX for the domain to send the
message to my UNIX bridgehead server.  Using Exchange RPC or OWA works
without a problem, but SMTP messages don't reach the UNIX machine.  Any
ideas???  Thanks people...