On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Murphy, Brian wrote:
> I have heard everyone talk about not "relaying" mail or not allowing the
> "relaying" of mail.  But what exactly does that mean?

  An SMTP system that performs relaying will accept mail for domains other
than those handled by the local system, and pass it on (relay it) to the
final destination.  For example, if you permitted relaying, your system
would accept mail addressed to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, and then contact
Microsoft's mail exchangers and attempt to deliver it to Mr. Gates.

> For example, I have my system setup to NOT relay mail as per the FAQ.
> However, it states to enable routing (Reroute incoming SMTP) and then
> enable routing restrictions.

  Basically, this means the system will accept SMTP mail, but only for those
domains to which you have created routing entries.

> Let's assume I don't need POP3 or IMAP4.

  POP3 and IMAP4 are used only to retrieve mail from a mail server; they
actually have nothing to do with SMTP (which is used to exchange (lower-case
'E') mail between servers).

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>