Can I quote you on some of this?  I'm always looking for ammo when it comes
to changing my group to a more aggressive style.

-----Original Message-----
From: Blunt, James H (Jim) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2001 11:21 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: AV! a full time job?

Eric,

We are using the same AV you are and we are approximately the same size you
are.  We got the Symantec Corporate 7.6 upgrade about a week ago.  Side
Note:  With XP/NAV 7.6 installed on a workstation, you will have to turn off
your AV software before trying to burn a CD.

As Ed Crowley (ONE of my heroes among MANY on this list) is so fond of
stating, "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral
problems."  Your management needs to do what our management here has done.
No server OR workstation is connected to our network, without our
permission...period.  People are going to whine and cry until they get used
to it, but both your life and theirs will be less stressful and simpler,
once this is done.

We have about 950 users, with about 1150 workstations and servers.  Two of
the departments in our IT org are the Help Desk and the Network
Infrastructure departments.  No workstation is allowed on the network
without the Help Desk first installing an image that contains all the basic
workstation apps, NAV for the desktop, SMS 2.0, patches, upgrades, blah blah
blah.  No server is ever put on the network without our Network
Infrastructure group building the server ourselves.  Once a server is built,
it goes into the cypher-locked server room...Nobody but the Ifrastructure
group has access to the server room.

Now...once you have all that in place, you are set to introduce the company
to SMS 2.0.  Our SMS Admin has created NAV packages, based on the
workstation type found by the login script.  The login script checks for
SMS...if not there somehow, it's logged in the SMS DB and the Help Desk is
sent out to install it.  Once that happens, the machine is assimilated,
software inventory is done, NAV is installed and the WS is virus scanned.
NAV on the WS is locked down and cannot be turned off.  The uninstall is
password protected.  If they *somehow* manage to get it uninstalled, then
the next time they logon, it's reinstalled.  NAV can be set up to download
the latest .dat files at a specific time, pushed out to distribution points
and then to the WS's and servers...much like SMS.

Not only that, but we also have a Linux 7.0 mail relayer running Qmail and
Qmail Scan that blocks attachment and subject types before ever getting to
the network.  We haven't been infected since before Melissa <<<knock on
wood>>>.

Jim Blunt
Network / E-mail Admin
Network / Infrastructure Group