Telnet to port 25 of the machine
Search the internet for open relay exchange 5.5, there is a good article in
exchangeadmin.com somewhere.
Here's a telnet example:
220 invvan2kex.inventaworld.com ESMTP Server (Microsoft Exchange Internet
Mail S
ervice 5.5.2653.13) ready
ehlo
250-invvan2kex.inventaworld.com Hello [mail.fluke.com]
250-XEXCH50
250-HELP
250-ETRN
250-DSN