From: Dillon, Jeff [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: January 3 2002 12:47 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: fix monitor

If you have a zero budget or zero boss, don't let the 'ole flyback
"capacitor" scare you away.  There are lotsa useful pots in there that
can fix the focus, the brightness, etc, and you can futz with the
magnets if the screen is lumpy.  Likewise, many a monitor has been
resurrected by replacing a $.25 fuse or the smelly burnt component
smoldering on the board.  Unplug the thing for a few minutes (an hour if
you're paranoid--"years" won't be necessary), use insulated tools, and
borrow some rubber gloves if your hair is already spiked.  I do agree
that it is rarely worth paying for this, so dive in....