Your environment and mine are comparable.  I just lost my battle with
managment and had to move forward with an eManager solution on 3.52 Trend
Suite.  I setup W2K server front end with Interscan and eManager.  I have to
admit I spent about 1 week slowly implementing additional rules above what
came out of the box and have seen a steady reduction in SPAM.  Average daily
traffic is between 1500-2500 emails and we are now filtering 250-400 emails
/ 24 hour period, I have yet to have anyone make me go through the filtered
mail for something caught that should not have been.  I spot check the
filtered mail notifications I get for header info just to verify.

Since the original week I spend maybe 1-2 hours reading requests from users
for additional word(s)/from domain tweeking and making any changes if I so
decide.

eManager lets you archive filtered mail after a rule change, archiving
filters but also sends the mail to the original recepient.  You can verify
that you did not start pulling out huge amounts of valid mail with a rule
misjudgment.

The exception rules are great considering any of my sensitive word filters
would greatly reduce the humor and knowledge gleaned from this list.  I
would only get posts from Trolls.

**As an additional note Jim Schwartz's letter made it through from a hotmail
account as a test.  Great test though.  I also don't deliver notifications
to senders about blocked mail with just this list in mind.

If you have any questions contact me.

Allan