-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Michel, David
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2002 8:50 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Win2k backup and Exchange

I realize there are no stupid questions but only stupid people who ask
questions so I'll throw my hat into the stupid ring as this is probably
very simple...

I finally got my boss to buy a DLT drive exclusively for each of my
Exchange 2000 servers.  From all I've read here and elsewhere I decided
to use NTBackup rather than ARCServe on my servers.  I cannot, however,
find a way to setup the backups correctly.  I aim to do a nightly full
backup at 11pm with differentials every two hours from 6am until 8pm
when the tape would be replaced for that night's backup.  I see in the
backup wizard how to set the daily backup as a "normal" and how to
schedule a second "differential" backup for only the information store
at my selected times.  However, the option to "append" rather than
overwrite the media is grayed out on the differential.  If this
differential is going to overwrite the full backup then a single tape
source for backup isn't feasible.  I'm sure it is but I'm just missing
something so anything you can offer would be appreciated.

David S. Michel
MCSE/CNE
Systems Engineer
Ruden McClosky Smith Schuster & Russell, P.A.
200 East Broward Boulevard
Suite 1600
Fort Lauderdale, FL  33301
954-527-2456  Direct Phone
954-333-4056  Direct Fax
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachment to this e-mail message
contains confidential information that may be legally privileged. If you
are not the intended recipient, you must not review, retransmit, convert
to hard copy, copy, use or disseminate this e-mail or any attachments to
it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us
immediately by return e-mail or by telephone at 954-764-6660 and delete
this message. Please note that if this e-mail message contains a
forwarded message or is a reply to a prior message, some or all of the
contents of this message or any attachments may not have been produced
by Ruden, McClosky, Smith, Schuster, & Russell, P.A.