I've had to deal with that issue a few times in Exchange 5.5 for customers.
(Easy fix and a happy customer, what could be better?) In Exchange 2000
(native site) it's not really an issue I don't think since the default
communication protocol is SMTP. [1]

[1] Course RPC is still required for mailbox moves.

--
Chris Scharff
The Mail Resource Center http://www.Mail-Resources.com

Software pick of the month (Extended Reminders):
http://www.slovaktech.com/extendedreminders.htm
Exchange FAQs: