From: Daniel Chenault [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002 12:02 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Re: MDBDATA Log Files

The issue is not compressing; it is assumed this would be a lengthy job and
would be done off-hours. The problem is with manipulating the compressed
file. When a request to open a file is passed to NTFS and the file system
finds that the file is compressed it will decompress as much of that file as
possible into memory. This is all well and good if you're working on a Word
document that will get some changes (usually to the end of the file) and be
saved back to looked at another time for a total size of maybe a few megs.
But for a 12G database that is constantly being read and written to at many
different locations, and constantly, this unraveling of the compressed file
will kill performance as the CPU gets maxed out uncompressing multiple
locations of this file into memory(1). The disks get thrashed as well while
the system asks for more and more free physical memory forcing page
faults(2)(3). Overall, compressing a database file being accessed hundreds,
of not thousands, of times a minute with a file size well beyond physical
memory (if you're uncompressing the file into VM you're losing even more
time) is just not a good idea.

The log files, on the other hand, are a different story. Each one exists in
memory being written to an address with a pre-allocated size of 5M(4). As
that memory allocation is used up, the entire chunk is written to a file and
the file handle is closed(5). Exchange will not read this file again except
in certain circumstances(6) so once closed the file will stay closed. Thus
one would think that compressing the log files would be a good move to save
disk space.

Or would it? Most organizations I know who do backups(7) do them nightly.
Since this wipes the logs off the drive we need only look at some numbers
for a single day's worth of transactions. Assume an organization that moves,
say, ten thousand messages a day through a given server. Each message has an
average size of 50K. Allowing 5% for overhead (which is a number I picked
just to keep the numbers even) this yields an average of 1,075,253,760 or
just a bit over 1gig. The NTFS encryption algorithm is relatively
efficient(8) and will largely depend on the data being compressed (9)

A file of nothing but 01010101 repeating over and over will compress
wonderfully (10) but although it is possible for there to be blocks of such
patterns overall the file's data structure will be complex and somewhat
random. At best I'd say expect 30% compression. Even giving it the benefit
of the doubt and saying 40% yields a diskspace savings of about 400M.

And brother, if you're sweating 400M on your server, you need to add another
drive to the array or increase your budget.

(1)  unless you have a server with 12G, that is
(2) writing pages of memory to the swapfile
(3) disk access is high overhead, reading the file into memory such that
more disk access is forced doubles the overhead resulting in a noticeably
performance hit
(4) I don't know why 5M was chosen; I guess it was just as good as 4 or 6
megs
(5) for the purists: the current edb.log file is renamed to edb<the next
sequential hex number> and the new log file is named edb.log
(6) all of them having to do with disaster recovery and, at that point,
diskspaceis the least of your worries
(7)  ahem
(8)  it's a trade-off between efficiency and performance
(9) if you are curious you may wish to run your own tests since each
installation and deployment will have its own traffic flow characteristics
(10) like PKZip the algorithm largely depends on repeating pattern
substitution(11)
(11) meaning the software attempts to find repeating pattersn of multiple
subpatterns (12) and replace it with a single pattern
(12) such as the word "the" which can be replaced with one character
resulting in savings of 66.6%(13)
(13) this is a purposely simple example to illustrate the mechanism(14)
(14) Hi Sherry!