Mr. Crowley,
                Thank you for the response. I didn't want to get too
technical in my initial question. Sometimes that leads to confusion.

Here is the scenario:

Multiple remote physical sites over WAN links all consisting of the
following:

(1) NT 4.0 SP6 BDC running Exchange 5.5 SP4, DNS, DHCP. [SQL 6.5 or SQL
7.0 and SMS (both SQL & SMS to go away during upgrade)] Call this Sever
DOM01

(1) NT 4.0 SP6 member server running the file and print services. Call
this Server FPS01
(x) NT 4.0 clients to be all replaced with Windows 2000 Pro clients within
a week.

When I said migrate here is what I mean.

Step 1  Backup both boxes on own tape.

Step 2  Clean both servers of all non-essential services, Mcafee, Backup
Exec, VNC, Compaq agents, etc., all that stuff. With the exception of
Exchange and Groupshield.

Step 3  Upgrade the DOM01 to Windows 2000 SP2 and install AD. Will
Exchange 5.5 still work with an upgrade to the server? (booting to NT
inserting the 2000 CD and upgrading in that fashion)

Step 4  Upgrade the FPS01, should be simple, print queues should carry
over. User Data should also.

The questions surround the Q article 275127. The last paragraph as
follows:

NOTE : Exchange Server 5.5 is supported on a domain controller or global
catalog only when there is a single Exchange server in the Site and only
one Site exists in the Exchange Organization.

Exchange Server 5.5 is supported on a domain controller or global catalog
only when there are no other domain controllers in the domain and there is
only one domain in the forest. No further Domain controllers can be
installed into the environment.

There is no supported migration path to Exchange 2000 while the Exchange
5.5 installation exists on a global catalog server.

If you plan to install another Microsoft Windows 2000-based computer into
the domain or forest, then the preceding steps are not supported.

With the above in mind, the million dollar question is this. Should I put
the AD on the file and print server, leaving Exchange to reside on the
upgraded DOM01 as a member server now? Therefore pulling the DC/Exchange
issue out of the question?

Thanks,
David Semler

I want to tell you, "Yes it will work."  But I can't say that because all
the detail you've provided about your strategy is the word "migrate".

Ed Crowley MCSE+I MVP
Tech Consultant
Compaq Computer