From: Robert Moir [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 24 January, 2002 2:40 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: average lifespan server

I'd agree with that, and we've put it into practice here, but with the
speed
the hardware market is moving now, 3 years is almost certainly enough
time
for any replacement hardware to have disappeared off the shelves and
become
difficult to source. If it's important enough to be on a decent server
platform in the first place, its probably important enough that you
can't
afford it to be offline two weeks because no one makes power supply fans
that shape any more.

That's not to say that you should automatically scrap stuff after that
time,
but rather, that you just need to keep an eye on the situation for
maintenance on systems like that.

--
This e-mail is intended for the addressee shown. It contains information
that is confidential and protected from disclosure. Any review,

The contents of this email do not necessarily represent the views or
policies of Luton Sixth Form College, its employees or students.