Ah yes, one must count on always having to defend one's budget. I would
actually worry if I didn't have to defend it.

Not knowing how you are set up or how big you are, I'll make some general
pointers here. Usually it's up to a manager/director/CIO to ultimately
defend the budget. And this needs to be done at the highest levels of the
accounting department, don't waste your time with the hirelings.

On an office move/rebuild, the decision to perform such a task should not be
finalized until feedback from all departments on the cost/impact of the move
is factored in. It's not like there is a good/better/best selection for
cabling, like you are picking an Earl Schibe paint job for your car. There
is an absolute minimum requirement and specification for a cable plant. Yes
there might be some nice extras you could include, but below a certain point
it is not supportable.

The one case where the above doesn't fly is when you are a fairly small
company and the owner has a cousin who knows this guy named Chewy who can do
the job for .20 on the dollar of what a real cable contractor would charge.
You can't win there, you pitch your case to the boss and then let him make
the decision. Working in a small company requires that you accept that there
of lots of decisions that may not seem wise, especially in the long run. But
then again sometimes that is the only way a small/new company can survive
and grow.

Being that Intas appears to be heavily involved in the scientific, research,
and project communities, they should understand a proper presentation of
costs, risks, expected outcomes, etc.