It means that the solutions based in some form of technology, that exist to
correct problems that are essentially caused by the behavior of one or more
persons, are rarely satisfactory.

Put more simply: It's easier to stop sticking a fork in your ear than it is
to try and construct some kind of electro-magnetic hat.

In the context of your question I can only assume that the original
respondant was intimating that View | Options (or right-click | Options) is
already very nearly as simple a solution as there can be, thus any attempts
to improve upon it are likely just academic exercise.  But I could be
mistaken.

Aloha,

-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP-Outlook, CNA, MCPx3