Compaq Computer Corporation

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Wat, Allen
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 9:14 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Opinions on distribution list vs. public discussion folder
vs . m ailbox

Jim,

Paul brings up a good point on the DLs. You need to understand your
user's requirements better to determine the best solution. Some tips:

- A DL is a good solution for diseminating information (and may be good
for passing responsibility between user's inboxes if only one user is on
the list at any one given time), but it doesn't allow for any sort of
workflow. It will be difficult for a department to determine who has
responded to different requests with this solution and a request may end
up with multiple differing responses.

- A mailbox is a good shared solution. It can be a little more
cumbersome to manage than a PF but the department can set up a heirarchy
of folders to detail responses and manage workflow. I find it easier to
set up 'send as' rights on a mailbox as well. Remember, by default Sent
Items defaults to the user's inbox not the 'send as' sent items. If this
is a requirement though, I've seen a COM addin that will facilitate. I
think it on www.slipstick.com.

- PFs are easy for users to get to and are an easy solution to implement
and farm out to users. I find that Public Folders are well suited for
open-forum items. This mailing list is the perfect example. You can also
allow users to create a heirarchy below for management but be careful
because PFs often grow like weeds and once there it can be tough to
remove/organize once user's get used to it. Public Folders also offer
some enhanced web folder capabilities if you really want to push the
envelope but that is probably more than what you need.

There are lots of solutions but the best one will depend mostly on the
requirements being satisfied. Find out how the department wants to
collaborate/coordinate efforts, basically understand the desired
workflow.

Good luck!
Allen