You still need the agent

-----Original Message-----
From: Niki Blowfield [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2002 1:13 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Online backup of Exchange 5.5 with Veritas BE 8.5

Dear All,

I got some advice here earlier in the week with regards backing up Exchange
with Veritas Backup Exec 8.5 without the Exchange Agent.

I have altered our backup setup here by putting a DAT drive in the Exchange
server (used to be across network, offline file copy backup to another
backup server) and allowing Backup Exec to simply backup all local drives,
without doing anything to specifically identify the Exchange folders. I have
cancelled the batch file that stopped the services, so that Exchange runs
continuously.

After backup, I receive the following errors in the backup log. Also, when
simulating a restore, I can select the Priv and Pub databases, but Dir.edb
is not available.

Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
Backup started on 07/03/02 at 02:01:03 .
The item \exchsrvr\DSADATA\edb.log in use - skipped.
The item \exchsrvr\DSADATA\temp.edb in use - skipped.

Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
Backup started on 07/03/02 at 02:57:01 .
The item \exchsrvr\DSADATA\dir.edb in use - skipped.

Any advice on how to get dir.edb backed up, and any other problems the logs
suggested? Also, what added functionality does the Exchange Agent provide?

Thanks

Nik