I am rejoining this group after being gone for a while so if I am asking
something that has already been discussed I do apologize.  I tried to search
the archives but I did not see anything.
I had a question about security bulletin MS02-011 (mail relaying on an
Exchange 5.5 server). From the FAQ section it says...
Before a user can make use of a mail service, they first must authenticate
to the server. But even if this is done successfully, the mail services
themselves should perform additional checking to ensure that it's
appropriate to let the user access them. Neither the Windows 2000 SMTP
service nor the Exchange Server 5.5 IMC perform this additional checking
correctly. The result is that a user who could successfully authenticate to
the server would always have the ability to use the mail services, even
if it's not appropriate.
Does this mean that if Exchange is setup to relay mail and then set that it
would only relay mail for authenticated users that this is vulnerable?
Should I take it to mean that if Exchange is setup to not relay or only
relay from certain IP's that it is not vulnerable?
I appreciate your input. I am trying to correctly evaluate the scope of this
vulnerability.
Thank you.
John