I do something like what you are trying to do I think.

Our web host company provides internet email with web mail feature. So if
users are traveling, they can just access their internet mail from web host
site through their browser. If in office, it downloads through Outlook. If
they forget to close Outlook before they travel, they will not be able to
get to their internet mail because it downloads and is removed from web
host site every 10 minutes by Outlook.

They also have Outlook Web Access if they need to see office email but I
don't have a bandwidth problem.