I've seen this once before after switching from circular
logging.

What I noticed was a discontiguous range of log file
"numbers".

After carefully examining the log file date / timestamps
I deleted the oldest (leaving at least 2 days worth as we
do daily full backups) and rebooted the server (stopping
and restarting the IS service would probably have sufficed).

The next morning the extraneous log files were gone, and
there have been no problems since.

Cheers,

Phil

Phil Randal