I'm puzzled by this approach, Craig.

Let's say you're at an airport kiosk. You're going to download the synch
file, then what? Copy it to a floppy? What if it's more that 1.44MB? What if
the kiosk doesn't have a floppy drive? If you're using a PDA, how do you
transfer the file to there?

OTOH, let's say you're hooked into a WLAN in the Executive Lounge from your
own laptop or PDA. You can then fire up your VPN software, connect into your
LAN and synch using the copy of Outlook on your PC. If you don't use
Outlook, as many others have pointed out, you can use an IMAP client.

Synchronization to an OST presumes that you have Outlook installed, so why
re-create the wheel? OWA was built to be run from any browser anywhere (I
can even convince Opera to load it if I work at it), but like most Web-based
services, presumes a connection for the duration of the session.

> I don't get it.  Why are you guys arguing in favor of keeping
> a small and
> extremely useful feature out of the product?  Is it a "we're
> tough, we can
> take it" sort of thing, or what?

Implementation of this isn't trivial, and there already exist multiple
better ways to do what you want. So why would Microsoft spend money
developing another one?

> Or maybe it is that you've bought into the view that small
> machines should
> only be used as companions to "real" machines.

Well, no. If you have an IMAP/MAPI client and a Web browser on your handheld
you're in good shape. But your Web browser sucks as a mailtool, so why not
use the IMAP/MAPI client?

>   Sheesh, I
> thought that
> attitude died back in the 80's when the mainframe crowd tried
> to convince
> everyone that OV, HP Desk and All-In-1 were the "real"
> workgroup messaging
> systems, and that LAN mail should be relegated to simple departmental
> messaging only tasks.
>
> It's amazing.  The PC guys have grown up to become the
> dinosaurs that they
> displaced.

I resent that implication. I have not become a PDP/11.