No offense , but your security structure seems completely upside down. You
give them admin access to their own machines, yet do not let their machines
be part of the domain? What an administrative nightmare.

-----Original Message-----
From: Louanne Fournier [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 2:45 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Authentication issues

This is kind of a strange one to be asking, I think I know what the problem
is but am looking for advice on the best workaround.

I am running E2k SP2 with clients using Outlook 2000.  Each of my users has
a notebook running W2k Server and is in their own workgroup (not part of my
domain).  We do this for a number of reasons but it is resulting in
authentication problems for my exchange users.

>From my reading I can see the the EMS is using my users logon credentials to
establish a RPC connection with the Exchange server. Because my users logon
as administrator to their machines it is using those credentials to send to
the server which are unrecognized. What happens to my users is that they get
prompted over and over for their user credentials and cannot open Outlook.
I have them browse to the Exchange Server through Explorer, double-click the
Exchange Server and authenticate using their network name and password.
Once they have done this there is no problem opening Outlook.

The funny thing is once they do this work-around authentication they don't
seem to get the logon credentials error anymore.  It seems to be caching
that info somewhere, although it will occasionally re-appear again.

Does anyone have any ideas on an easier way around this? I had the same
setup in Exchange 5.5 and my users never had authentication problems.

Louanne