I thought I'd seen this problem addressed but can't find it in the archives, nor
Technet, nor slipstick.com:

Exch2K, SP2 in AD network -- accesing OWA using IE, various flavors but mostly
IE5.5SP2.

Attachments get to/from their destinations fine.  However, the process of opening
attachments is inconsistent; even just a Word attachment, sometimes it just opens,
sometimes you're required to right-click and save it, but even doing that, sometimes
there's an 'Open' menu option and you can just tell it to open and it will.  Other
times not.  If there's a switch or control to settle this down, I've not found it yet.

David