Kim,
I use the default to delete the tracking logs after a week. But this depends
on how large yours are and on how much space u have. And of course, on the
need you have by means of security or company policy to keep them in order
to be able to track message flow for a period of time.
I very rarely met occasions in the last years since exchange 4.0 in which in
had trouble with tracking mails after I deleted the logs after a week. ;-)