This only looks so simple
Read the warning on the bottom of this q article.
it says "WARNING: When you click to select the "Propagate these properties to all
subfolders" check box, and then click Apply, any existing permissions in the
subfolders are lost."

He has thousands of Public Folders, this means that current user permissions will be
lost on all of them and will be replaced with whatever permissions he propagates.  Not
a pretty picture.

Jerzy