I am trying to set up a special-purpose SMTP connector, but am running
into a brick wall that I hope someone can help me go around or break
through.

I have an E2K server (SP1), set up to receive mail for a couple of
domains.  In one of those domains (mydomain.com), I want to do some
special handling if the mail is addressed to one particular host in the
domain (specialhost.mydomain.com).  Mail addressed to that host needs to
be relayed to a different (non Exchange) server ON A NON-STANDARD PORT.

To try to do this, I have set up two things:

1) An SMTP Virtual Server that points to the target host and the
NON-STANDARD PORT. (call it SpecialVirtualServer)
2) An SMTP connector with an address space of @specialhost.mydomain.com
(call it SpecialConnector) and directing all outgoing mail through
SpecialVirtualServer

The problem is that the system appears to steadfastly IGNORE the fact
that I have specified this mail to go out through SpecialVirtualServer.
Instead, all the mail is directed through the Default Virtual Server,
whereupon it of course fails.

I am reasonably certain that the address space setting IS in fact
properly triggering for the desired effect, because the mail shows up in
the Default Virtual Server queues with the *name* of the
SpecialConnector.

The reason I keep emphasizing the issue of the non-standard port is
that, according to my understanding, the target port can only be
specified at the Virtual Server level.  If the standard port 25 were
available at the target system, then queuing out through the Default
Virtual Server would work.  However, if there's another way to specify
the target port (for example on the SMTP connector definition), that
would be fine with me.

I did see a KB article about the Virtual Server setting being ignored in
some mixed mode environments, but this is not set up as mixed mode - the
Exchange server is a single E2K server.

Side Note - at this point I'm not terribly worried about being to take
mail IN from the internet and redirect it to that target server, though
that might be nice at some future time.  The mail in question is coming
from inside the E2K structure.

Any thoughts on what I'm not seeing would be greatly appreciated.

Garrett Michael Hayes
Verbal Imaging, Ltd. Co.
307 Cobb Crossing
Smyrna, GA  30080-7101