We have a block of 20 remote users (all of whom are in one classroom), all
of whom are connecting through a LinkSys router to the Internet. Each
machine has an individual VPN tunnel to the corporate intranet, which has
an Exchange server. All other users of the Exchange server are perfectly
fine - some are on the intranet directly, some dial-up, and others use VPN
as well.

The problem is that the Exchange clients for our 20 users seem to freeze
at random intervals. Due to the classroom environment, all of the users
are using Exchange simultaneously. Our current theory is that there is not
enough network bandwidth for them to be able to maintain good connections.
We thought that extend the timeout for the Exchange client would be a good
first step. Does this sound reasonable? How much traffic should exchange
be generating? All of the clients are running Exchange 4.0.993.0 on NT
Workstation 4.0. Is there a way to adjust the timeout in this version of
Exchange? I can't seem to find it in any of the menus.

I really appreciate your help.