So far, we have stopped two instances of the Fretham.e variant of this
virus.  However, we use a little bit different security model than some of
you folks do.  Our mail relay box is a Linux box, running Qmail.  We block
quite a list of file extensions at that point.  Now...whether it's because
of the Linux part or the Qmail part, our mail relayer sees through the
extension spoofing that these particular virii employ.

We have updated all of our IE deployments to patch the vulnerability
employed by this virus.  The BadTrans, Klez and SirCam viruses all use this
same blended threat mechanism.

Keep in mind however, that while your GS is not scanning attachments because
they are several layers deep in the forwarding process, that your GS is
probably also not scanning attachments that appear to be different file
types than they really are, due to extension spoofing.

All of these virii allow attached files to look as if they are a different
file type.  For example, you are blocking .exe files, but due to certain
vulnerabilities, the attachment appears as a .wav file to a Windows machine
and you're not blocking .wav files, so it lets it through.  When the worm
arrives by email, it uses both an IFRAME exploit and a MIME exploit, which
allow the virus to be executed when you read or even preview the file.
Information and a patch for MIME exploit can be found at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS01-020.asp.  The
Frethem.E write-up can be found at
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/pf/w32.frethem.e@mm.
html