used ADSI to remove the dead server.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Hill [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, 2 July 2002 6:13 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Many stopped Virtual Servers

Exch2K SP2, Win2K AS SP2, 2-node MSCS Cluster.

I am in the process of setting up a new Exchange server and I notice that
each of the Protocols folders (HTTP, IMAP4, POP3, SMTP) has 5 stopped
virtual servers and one functional virtual server.  I don't see any way to
remove the old servers and I have no idea where they came from.  I also
notice four instances of every public folder name in First Storage Group |
xxx Public Folders | Public Folders.

The only thing that occurs to me is that we have dropped and rebuilt the two
cluster nodes several times, including at least three complete cluster
rebuilds during which we wiped the data directories, deleted the two servers
from AD, and reinstalled Win2K etc from scratch.  In every case that I know
about, we just killed the servers without uninstalling Exchange.

I guess I have three questions:
1.  Were we complete imbeciles for killing the servers the way we did?  I
realize *now* I should have removed Exch beforehand.  Nuts.
2.  Was the abrupt removal of the previous clusters the cause of our grief?
3.  Is there anything I can do to remove the dead virtual servers?